Peter and Paul Church
Peter and Paul Church, 1700-1718, Vologda region, Belozersk, Frunze str., 22.
Type: architectural monument.
Status: an object of cultural heritage of regional significance.
Document on state protection: Decision of the Executive Committee of the Vologda Regional Council of People's Deputies No. 339 dated 02.06.78 "On taking monuments for state protection and approving the project of protected territories of historical and cultural monuments of Belozersk".
Address: Russia, Vologda region, Belozersk, Frunze str., 22.
Short description: a typical example of provincial architecture of the second half of the XVIII century - baroque elements in it are eclectically combined with forms borrowed in the XVII century. This was especially evident in the three-dimensional solution and decoration of the central part of the temple with the traditional five-domed. Only in the completions of the quadrangle and the bell tower - in the high roofs, elegant bulbous domes - the influence of modern architecture can be traced.
Modern usage: the current church of the Russian Orthodox Church (Cherepovets diocese). A group dedicated to the temple, Vkontakte: https://vk.com/public 158930716. services are held twice a week.
Brief historical background:
The Church of the Apostles Peter and Paul was built in 1770 on the site of an ancient convent. The Peter and Paul Church is a typical example of provincial architecture of the second half of the XVIII century, where Baroque elements are eclectically combined with forms borrowed in the XVII century, which is especially felt in the three-dimensional solution of the central part of the temple with the traditional five-domed and its decor. Only in the completions of the quadrangle and the bell tower – in the high roofs, elegant bulbous domes, the influence of modern architecture can be traced.
The brick church building is located to the east of the Kremlin, in the city center, inside a residential quarter. In the plan, the rectangle of the temple, elongated along the east-west axis, is flanked from the east by a pentagonal apse, slightly inferior in width to the quadrangle, and from the west by a rectangular refectory room with rounded eastern corners. The central symmetry of the monument's plan is violated by the fact that the volume of the bell tower is shifted to the north, so that the northern walls of the refectory and the bell tower on the plan form one line. The second tier of the bell tower, in which the chapel is located, in plan is a rectangle with beveled northwest corners, elongated along the north-south axis, with a pentagonal apse adjacent to it from the east.
The original appearance of the church has not been preserved to this day. In the middle of the XX century, the upper part of the main volume was dismantled, the second tier of the bell tower was demolished and a wooden extension was made from the west. Until the summer of 2012, the museum of the history of the region was located here. Currently, it is located at 28 Frunze St.
In 2012, the restoration of the temple was carried out. Contractor performing the work — Limited Liability Company "Heritage" (Vologda).
The organization has carried out the following repair and restoration work: strengthening of rubble masonry foundations; anti-capillary waterproofing of walls; restoration of masonry walls; roof repair; replacement of windows; painting facades, landscaping, blind area, facing the porch with white stone. Work on the monument was completed in September 2012.
Since October 2016, the church has been transferred to the Cherepovets diocese. A parish of the Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul has been established.
Protection category: a monument of history and culture of regional significance.