Church of the All-Merciful Saviour
The monument is an outstanding work of Russian architecture of the early XVIII century. This is the most beautiful building in the city, it dominates its landscape.
The Church of the Savior the All - Merciful was built in 1723 . He was popularly called "The Savior under the Mountain." After the construction of the Belozersky bypass canal, it received an unofficial name, under which it is best known even now – "Saved on the Canal". In the XVIII-XIX centuries the church underwent changes. Its architecture is designed entirely in the spirit of the XVII century. The refectory adjoins the main part of the building – the quadrangle — from the west, and to it, in turn, a tent bell tower, topped with a neat dome. At the base of the tent is a kokoshnikov belt, the tent itself is pierced with rows of decorated holes — rumors to release a sound wave and protect the tent from cracks. There were six bells on the bell tower of the temple. In former times, the bell tower was a kind of lighthouse for fishing and merchant ships. The crosses of the temple are forged, openwork. On the lower crossbar of the cross, made in the shape of a crescent with horns up, you can see the year of installation of the central cross — 1783. On the four–pitched roof there are five slender drums with bulbous heads. Only the central drum is light, the rest are false. In the upper part of the temple there are staggered kokoshniks and a double frieze of tiles made, perhaps, in Veliky Ustyug. Traditionally, the colors used in the tiles were green (grass color), yellow (sun), blue (sky), red-brown (earth color). A low three-apse altar with a high baroque bell-shaped roof is crowned with a small dome. In the interior of the temple there are remnants of paintings with magnificent stucco in the Baroque style.
The Church of the Savior the Merciful is considered one of the symbols of the city. It rises against the background of a lake among small wooden houses. 2013 is the year of the 290th anniversary of the temple.
In the 70s of the XX century, the external restoration of the temple was carried out.
From 1988 to the beginning of the 1990s, the Restoration team (Moscow) under the leadership of Konstantin Ivanovich Kozlov worked on the repair of the temple. The detachment was engaged in the removal of groundwater from the foundation of the temple.
In 2011-2012, in preparation for the anniversary of the city, a large complex of repair and restoration works funded by the federal budget was carried out at the facility. Restoration work was carried out by Promproekt LLC, Moscow. Works on capillary waterproofing of the foundation were carried out. All the protruding architectural elements and the refectory are covered with a copper roof. White stone floors appeared in the interior of the temple, the walls were cleaned and plastered. It was possible to preserve the stucco and fragments of frescoes. The adjacent territory is landscaped.
Internal electrical installation work was carried out by JSC "Construction Management No. 209" Vologda at the expense of regional funds.
Since May 2016, the Church of the All-Merciful Saviour has been transferred to the Cherepovets diocese, a parish has been created.
"The Church of the All–Merciful Saviour, 1728" is an object of cultural heritage of federal significance (Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR No. 1327 of August 30, 1960).